theSkyNet

Forum for users of theSkyNet

homebrew amateur radio astronomy gear

A place to chat with other amateur astronomers who are donating to theSkyNet

Postby vk5fj » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:45 pm

Stumbled across an interesting site with some homebrew amateur radio astronomy gear;
http://www.hardhack.org.au/radio_astronomy

cheers,

Kim
vk5fj

Postby petewheeler » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:42 pm

petewheeler

Postby john whitehead » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:19 am

I'm having difficulty finding how to do things in this system, finding my way to inputting my text.

My problem; I have a new laptop Five weeks old. dropped the old one. the new one has win8 64bit, nothing else available. Now I find my software drivers want run. I did think this would be the case but there was nothing else on offer. Now I'm stuck. If you have a way around this for me I'd love to know. One thing is I use Two Gstar EX cameras these are both analogue out. I have to run a frame grabber between the cameras and the digital input of the laptop. This is only one of the many.
john whitehead

Re: homebrew amateur radio astronomy gear

Postby the chosen » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:28 pm

hi friends

hope im right here in this thread.

first, sorry about my bad english ;)

now my question to the Forum and theskynet-team:

i want start a Project to bild my own Radioteleskope...yes that sounds stupid but i have this idea now many years.
from time to time i search the Internet about News to build one self.
yes there are some interesting Projects.
some i dont like because they are to simple(with a satfinder) or on the otherside to expensive(microwavereciever and spectrumanalyser)
my way is try to find that between, that meas to build the most parts self, and here is where i stopped :( , dont find a nice detailed Manual to build the most of electronic parts self.
at this Point the Forum und thekynet maybe can help me.

my idea is to collect the Signal with a sateliteantenna, build a preamp, mixer, ifamp, a/d-converter and send the Signal to a pc to Show.
i also saw some nice usb-spectrumanalyser with different frequenzes, can this be in combination with sateliteantenna an Option?

hope you have some Manuals for me to get started.

greetings
Ralf
the chosen

Postby kirsten » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:13 am

Hi the chosen,

Thanks for your question! Unfortunately we don't have a manual to build your own radio telescope available.

We have some wonderful engineers who work at ICRAR who have helped us make two mini radio telescopes.
We purchased the electronic components from radio astronomy supplies (http://www.radioastronomysupplies.com/) - the filter and low-noise amplifier specifically.
We also purchased a satellite TV dish online that we repurposed.

We digitise the signal using a USRP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_ ... Peripheral) - which then feeds the digital signal into some custom software that one of our astronomers wrote for us in Linux. You may be able to use something like 'iSpectrum' (on Mac) or similar which I have used before.

I'm sorry we're not much more help than that - good luck!
kirsten

Postby homer59 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:09 am

Hi Kirsten,

I would be interested to know what frequencies & radio phenomenon you are monitoring with the equipment you mentioned. Which filter frequency? Also, which model USRP?

Thanks,

Andrew
homer59

Return to Amateur Astronomy