theSkyNet

Forum for users of theSkyNet

Java -no way, I'll participate on the BOINC side

Suggest changes, improvements or new features you'd like to see here.

Postby indie99 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:01 pm

I waste enough time at work dealing with Java issues and I do not want to do it at home. I downloaded the java client, and as anticipated, it did not work and my PC overall ran like dog poo. I do not have the time to get it working correctly and then redo it each time a new version of java comes out to address the latest security issue.

SkyNet will soon have all of my CPU cycles on BOINC it wants (after my current ones finish) and I will be keeping an eye out for when it is able to do some openCL work. Many thanks to those who are assisting in taking this part of the project in that direction.

I want to help the SkyNet project and also would like to participate in the gamification aspect of it, but I already see enough inefficiency in my normal day to have the patience to deal with babysitting Java. Thanks to all those invloved for their efforts!
indie99

Postby eckley » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:23 am

@Indie99 Thanks for the feedback, just to add to that which operating system were you running the java client on?

Cheers
Alex
eckley

Postby indie99 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:55 pm

CPU type
AuthenticAMD
Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 185 [Family 15 Model 35 Stepping 2]
Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP
Home x86 Edition, Service Pack 3, (05.01.2600.00)
Memory
3071.48 MB
Cache
1024 KB
Measured floating point speed
2643.9 million ops/sec
Measured integer speed
4614.54 million ops/sec
indie99

Postby kirsten » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:43 am

Thanks @Indie99 - BOINC/Nereus we don't mind - everything is a valuable contribution and we hope to see a variety of projects on theSkyNet BOINC in the future.
kirsten

Postby indie99 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:03 am

I just noticed on another machine I have running tasks that it is completely java-free. I am just "java jaded" when it comes down to it -wounds of a poor network guy repeatedly whipped into interpreting packet captures only to find out in the end that Java is stealing all of the RAM/SWAP from under the server support peoples noses.

I am happy that the BOINC option is available. More options is never a bad thing and I am sure the Java client works without impacting many other users experience.

Thanks and Happy Crunching!
indie99

Postby kx7l » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:53 pm

I'm currently contributing on the BOINC side (where the computers do real work but earn no credits and on the Nereus/Java side (where the computers earn credits but are doing no work(in my case, anyway)). Seems to balance out somehow! :-)
kx7l

Postby gwg » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:58 am

Yeah! I was interested until I heard Java, so sent them an email and found out about the BOINC client project. I am now testing it and at least it is working OK on my machine. Don’t know why they didn’t do the BOINC thing from the beginning. I won’t run non-BOINC projects on my computers because then these projects compete with the BOINC ones in an unfair manner, and I don’t have any control over how many cycles they get. Why anyone would waste their time re-inventing the wheel is beyond me: BOINC has been running for yonks and is very stable and configurable.
gwg

Postby captec » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:21 am

It would be preferable to see SkyNet drop all use of Java, and a.s.a.p. please.
captec

Postby kirsten » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:44 am

@gwg We're glad to have you on board with BOINC. We originally went with Nereus as it was an option to let anyone donate through a web browser without needing to download software, amongst a few other reasons which @newman can elaborate on as the creator of Nereus. We're glad to be able to provide the BOINC option for those that are avid distributed computing community members and we added it as soon as our resourcing allowed us to :)

@captec we wont be dropping Nereus completely, but BOINC will come fully under theSkyNet credit system and people will earn back dated credits for their contributions on the BOINC side of things when we do.

I'm about to write something up about the Java security breach, stay tuned.
kirsten

Postby ad » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Don't forget that starting with Java 7 Update 10, the browser add-ins can be easily disabled via the Java Control Panel applet. This in conjunction with theSkyNet desktop client means you will have a reduced threat risk.
ad

Next

Return to Suggestions