theSkyNet

Forum for users of theSkyNet

Alliance Membership

Bugs, ideas, thoughts. Any thing goes

Re: Alliance Membership

Postby [sg-fc] arnco » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:26 am

beorn wrote:
eckley wrote:A) Be kicked out of "Amazing Alliance" and placed in "Terrific Team"
B) Be kicked out of "Terrific Team" and placed in "Amazing Alliance"


Neither is acceptable IMHO. ...

EDIT: Additional thought, in that case I guess there should also be an option to link a Skynet alliance with a BOINC team (imported into Skynet), so that the total credits of both could show up in leaderboards in Skynet. Couldn't that simply be done by both founders? I mean like a friendship request in BOINC, so both have to accept?

Regards
Alex (aka Beorn) :mrgreen:


Not so bad Beorn :D . This may be an acceptable solution for all teams!
[sg-fc] arnco
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:33 pm

Re: Alliance Membership

Postby saenger » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:20 pm

eckley wrote:If i'm a member of "Amazing Alliance" on theSkyNet then I join the "Terrific Team" on BOINC what should happen?
Should i:
A) Be kicked out of "Amazing Alliance" and placed in "Terrific Team"
B) Be kicked out of "Terrific Team" and placed in "Amazing Alliance"
C) Something else.

What's the problem?
The terms "team" or "alliance" are just the traditional terms for the same thing in different surroundings. Both entities should be the same in both worlds, and membership is of course only possible in one team/alliance at the same time.
It's just the same as if s/he changes a team/alliance now: S/he leaves the old one and joins the new one. I can't see any problem besides some initial doubles.
If SETI.Germany and SETI.Germany (POGS) will be reunited under the normal name SETI.Germany, whatever the number will be, you can join or leave the team/alliance in both settings and it will take effect in both as well, as the team/alliance of SETI.Germany is just the same in both settings.

Edith says:
Regarding stats: BOINC stats should be kept separated from other stats, that's OK. If the stats should be consolidated, and not kept apart, it should happen in the stand-alone version, that's the old fashioned one. And stats sites could decide themselves what they want to import: DC-Vault would probably go for the consolidated stats, while BOINCstats e.a. will do with the BOINC-XML.
Gruesse vom Saenger
Image Image
User avatar
saenger
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:44 pm
Location: Bremen, Germany

Re: Alliance Membership

Postby eckley » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:39 am

saenger wrote:If SETI.Germany and SETI.Germany (POGS) will be reunited under the normal name SETI.Germany, whatever the number will be, you can join or leave the team/alliance in both settings and it will take effect in both as well, as the team/alliance of SETI.Germany is just the same in both settings.

What if i was a member of the Aussie team on the original theSkyNet page but a member of SETI.Germany on POGS, which one should I be in after the merge?


saenger wrote:Edith says:
Regarding stats: BOINC stats should be kept separated from other stats, that's OK. If the stats should be consolidated, and not kept apart, it should happen in the stand-alone version, that's the old fashioned one. And stats sites could decide themselves what they want to import: DC-Vault would probably go for the consolidated stats, while BOINCstats e.a. will do with the BOINC-XML.

We allready do this. So if people want BOINC only stats they can grab them directly from the POGS url same as any BOINC project, or if they are interested in theSkyNet stats they can grab the json files from almost any url on http://www.thekskynet.org.

cheers
Alex
eckley
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:07 am

Re: Alliance Membership

Postby saenger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:50 am

eckley wrote:
saenger wrote:If SETI.Germany and SETI.Germany (POGS) will be reunited under the normal name SETI.Germany, whatever the number will be, you can join or leave the team/alliance in both settings and it will take effect in both as well, as the team/alliance of SETI.Germany is just the same in both settings.

What if i was a member of the Aussie team on the original theSkyNet page but a member of SETI.Germany on POGS, which one should I be in after the merge?

My suggestion:
Take the one with more credits as the main team, or, if possible, the one with more credits within the last month, and put him/her in that one. Send an email with this information to his/her account contact, and everyone's free to change it asap.

eckley wrote:
saenger wrote:Edith says:
Regarding stats: BOINC stats should be kept separated from other stats, that's OK. If the stats should be consolidated, and not kept apart, it should happen in the stand-alone version, that's the old fashioned one. And stats sites could decide themselves what they want to import: DC-Vault would probably go for the consolidated stats, while BOINCstats e.a. will do with the BOINC-XML.

We allready do this. So if people want BOINC only stats they can grab them directly from the POGS url same as any BOINC project, or if they are interested in theSkyNet stats they can grab the json files from almost any url on http://www.thekskynet.org.

cheers
Alex

So in that regard everything's fine already, that's good.
I think, we just have to make the DC-Vault aware of this project to put it in the "Physical Science" category as well (just saw, there's already a thread in the forum).
Requirements will be met once teams/alliances are straightened.
Gruesse vom Saenger
Image Image
User avatar
saenger
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:44 pm
Location: Bremen, Germany

Re: Alliance Membership

Postby coleslaw » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:09 pm

Sorry to reignite this thread, but I feel the teams should be united as one. I don't know of any other DC project that has multiple sub-projects that split the teams between them. Yes this project is unique in that it uses different clients for both sub-projects, but that should not be a reason for this headache. And I don't count projects that have a different site for BETA (like SETI and Einstein) to be candidates. They use those BETA projects to also test the latest BOINC server code before putting into the main page and don't merge points. I think eliminating the option for multiple teams will solve more issues than what keeping the current one gives. I also don't know why both sub-projects didn't just use the same website to begin with either. Even now, they could be merged. That would erase a lot of the confusion that many DC'ers had from the get go. I didn't even know about the Source Finder client/project until POGS was in the BOINC community. I was more confused by the merge because of that than anything else. I'm sure at this point there are a lot of headaches for the admins/scientists as well, but the quicker you get the under lying problem fixed, the easier it will be later. If there is a way to port Source Finder to BOINC, that would probably be the best solution for the users.
[link=http://join.worldcommunitygrid.org?recruiterId=338542&teamId=BP5XNJBR9N1]Image[/link]
coleslaw
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:48 pm

Re: Alliance Membership

Postby victordehollander » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:27 am

This discussion is also relevant for adding theSkyNet to the DC-Vault.
My preferred opinion is to unite teams/members, if that is possible. If these issues with multiple teams/members can't be solved, I think we are better of with separate stats for the BOINC side and the 'normal' SkyNet. However, uniting is preferable.
My suggestion:
"Dutch Power Cows" and "Dutch Power Cows POGS" united and listed as "Dutch Power Cows"
Usernames on the 'normal' SkyNet (and their non-BOINC points) are listed with their SkyNet username and points.
BOINC users are listed in the stats as "BOINC_Username + POGS" with only their points gained on the BOINC side of the project.
This should overcome problems with users with accounts on both 'sides' of the project.

Example:

Teamstats for Dutch Power Cows
<User1>
<User2>
<User3>
<User4>
VictordeHollander POGS 300,000
<User5>
<User6>
VictordeHollander 3,000
<User7>
victordehollander
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:04 am

Re: Alliance Membership

Postby eckley » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:37 am

Hey guys,

We are working on this :).
I've put up a post outlining our new plan for merging the systems here http://forums.theskynet.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2778
I'd appreciate your comments.

Alex
eckley
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:07 am

Re: Alliance Membership

Postby saenger » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:00 pm

eckley wrote:Hey guys,

We are working on this :).
I've put up a post outlining our new plan for merging the systems here http://forums.theskynet.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2778
I'd appreciate your comments.

Alex
challenge

That looks really good!
Thanks a lot for solving that problem, aaaah, wrong: that challenge! :P
Gruesse vom Saenger
Image Image
User avatar
saenger
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:44 pm
Location: Bremen, Germany

Previous

Return to site support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron