theSkyNet

Forum for users of theSkyNet

Alliance Membership

Bugs, ideas, thoughts. Any thing goes

Re: Alliance Membership

Postby eckley » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:27 am

ggreybeard wrote:I am not sure where that leaves me with the SourceFinder team as I cannot find the "Leave Alliance" link. :roll: (Maybe the leader cannot leave?)
r

Yea thats correct, you would have make some else the leader, then you have the option to leave.

Alex
eckley

Postby saenger » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:33 am

ggreybeard wrote:It is my understanding that there are two types of Alliance - one for 'theSkyNet' and one for 'SkyNet POGS'.

I founded the 'Macarthur Astronomical Society' Alliance in theSkyNet and used the same name to found a team in BOINC, which works for a number of projects, including POGs.

As founder of both, I am disturbed to find myself removed from my own 'theSkyNet' alliance! Whilst I am currently confining myself to BOINC processing, I made no decision to leave my own group and I may also wish to contribute with that option in the future. It now appears leaderless!

Another of our members (Tachyon) was also removed from the alliance recently but seems to be back now - but removed from the POGs team instead. What is happening?

Could you please restore me to the alliance and also restore me as founder - without removing me from the POGs team; or are you trying to consolidate the groups somehow?

Thank you, :)

That's a general problem for all teams, that crunch in different DC-settings. I've got it with SETI.Germany as well, rechenkraft.net also, and I found several others with this problem with a quick search for the usual suspects.
Now in TSN I'm stuck with a leaderless team with the right name, and another one with (POGS) after the name, that I'm official the founder of.
There are other teams that join our fate, as obviously nobody thought about cross-plattform-teams while installing the teams. Instead of merging them, they were created with this (POGS) behind the real name in TSN, and now we have to live with the mess.

And there's for now no good way out: It's either give up the well established name in TSN, probably even with the possibility of a hostile takeover, or keep them seperated, as if they are two different entities.

It's been discussed in the POGS forum as well, here are the threads, but as well without a satisfying solution:
Alliances and Teams
New Alpha Website Alliances - Not Same As Old Teams?
Gruesse vom Saenger
Image Image
saenger

Postby saenger » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:20 pm

eckley wrote:The decision was made to incorporate POGS teams as well. This means that you can't be a member of both a POGS team and a original team.

Why not? Why isn't it allowed to have one team in both worlds under the same, well established, name?
Gruesse vom Saenger
Image Image
saenger

Postby eckley » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:12 am

saenger wrote:
eckley wrote:The decision was made to incorporate POGS teams as well. This means that you can't be a member of both a POGS team and a original team.

Why not? Why isn't it allowed to have one team in both worlds under the same, well established, name?

It will require rewriting some of the code, but it is technicly possible and is something we're considering. Do you think this would solve your problems?

Alex
eckley

Postby saenger » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:54 am

eckley wrote:
saenger wrote:

It will require rewriting some of the code, but it is technicly possible and is something we're considering. Do you think this would solve your problems?

Alex

Yes, it probably will do. But by now it will require the merging of a lot of existing teams/alliances.
There are a lot of doubles now, as I said in the other forum:
Rechenkraft, Sicituradastra*, SETI.USA, The Planetary Society, The Knights who say NI, L'Alliance Francophone and probably many more.
Gruesse vom Saenger
Image Image
saenger

Postby nikolay a. saharov » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:18 pm

There is some problem with the teams 'Russia' and 'Russia (POGS)'.

I don't understand this alliances system.
nikolay a. saharov

Postby saenger » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:49 pm

nikolay a. saharov wrote:There is some problem with the teams 'Russia' and 'Russia (POGS)'.

I don't understand this alliances system.

It was a very sloppy, quick'n'dirty, installation of this "migration" or whatever it's supposed to be, where nobody on the project side considered asking the big cross-project teams about the schedule, and now were stuck with this mess.

All this teams with the same name, just with and without "(POGS)" behind that, have to be merged (and by "merged" I definitely mean just that, no zombies still alive like now) to one entity in the end, but now the database has probably already created an even bigger mess while growing with this useless division in two futile entities.
Gruesse vom Saenger
Image Image
saenger

Postby eckley » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:27 am

saenger wrote:All this teams with the same name, just with and without "(POGS)" behind that, have to be merged (and by "merged" I definitely mean just that, no zombies still alive like now) to one entity in the end, but now the database has probably already created an even bigger mess while growing with this useless division in two futile entities.

Unfortunately it is not quite as simple as just copying tables in a database. Currently everything is stored in a nondestructive way, ie I can rebuild all the BOINC teams without losing information and we wont be proceeding further until I'm convinced that any change will maintain that. The last thing I want to do is mess about with the BOINC team system.

Some questions are still left open are:
  • If a user joins a Team on theSkyNet.org should they also be added to the boinc team?
  • If a user leaves a Team on theSkyNet.org should they also be removed from the boinc team?
  • When Merging the alliances and teams when a user is in non matching alliances and teams which should take priority?

Your feedback on any of the above questions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Alex
theSkyNet WebMaster
eckley

Postby saenger » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:16 am

I'll make this thread known in some of the big teams fora, as I don't want to decide this on my own, just because they don't look here that often.

My personal opinion:
One account - one team, regardless whether it's called alliance or BOINC-team in a certain surrounding.
And:
A team is a team, regardless whether it's called alliance or BOINC-team in a certain surrounding.

Join a team -> join the full Monty.
Leave a team -> leave the whole team

SETI.Germany is a team in different, mainly BOINC-based, projects. That's the name in all this surroundings, and it should be so.
Gruesse vom Saenger
Image Image
saenger

Postby eckley » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:07 am

saenger wrote:I'll make this thread known in some of the big teams fora, as I don't want to decide this on my own, just because they don't look here that often.

Excellent thanks for that :)

Alex
eckley

PreviousNext

Return to site support